The sharewarist’s central
WEEKLY ARTICLE - Jan.17, 2001
How to make your wildest dreams a reality - by Craig Lock*
Note by the Dr.Upload: This article is not about shareware and/or marketing, but it’s certainly worth it. Good reading!
According to Bill Gates there are 3 keys to success in any new venture:
1) Being in the right place at the right time! (You could well be already there!)
2) Have a vision of where the industry/business you’re working in is going!
3) Taking Massive and Immediate Action! (Well? It is time to act!)
“The future belongs to those who believe in the quality of their dreams.”. Was it Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe, the famous German poet and philosopher who said those wise words?
Here are my 15 steps to fulfilling my wildest dreams....
1. KNOW YOURSELF
Know and accept your weaknesses and faults (we all have them), but even more so your strengths, abilities and gifts. Build on your strengths and try to minimize or improve on your weaknesses; however work more on your strengths. An honest objective analysis of yourself is the first step in preparing you for success and realizing your dreams. Celebrate you for just being you, a unique creation.
Aim for mental clarity about what you most want out of life. Think about it and write it down. If it’s happiness, what do you mean by happiness: a sense of belonging, recognition, independence, love, money or security? If you don’t know where you are and where you want to go with your life, how will you ever get there? Aim at nothing and you’re sure to hit it.
2. GET PASSIONATE
* and don’t apologize for getting passionate.
* What excites you the most? If you are not enthusiastic and excited about what you’re doing, your path in life, you’ll never get others to share your dream. Once you find your passion, you will have found your POWER, MEANING and PURPOSE in life.
3.. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PASSIONATE POOFTERS (oops, sorry PEOPLE).
Must go for another P in this cold weather...
Always be aware...
* Negative people will poison your dream faster than anything else..
* Motto: “If you can’t be positive, shut up!”
Try and stay positive... even in the face of negativity.
4. ACCEPT FROM THE START THAT YOU WON’T PLEASE EVERYONE
* You’re going to be misunderstood, misquoted, hurt some feelings, perhaps even lose some friends (for the time being).
* Motto: “ What other people think of me is none of my business!”
Repeat this statement to yourself, especially when you doubt or feel discouraged - you will be many times.
5. ALWAYS BE YOURSELF
“To thine own self be true.
(Shakespears "Hamlet", act I.3.) . This is supremely important, no matter what the world may think of you. The masses are conditioned to mediocrity and other people’s success can make them not feel so good about their own insignificant little lives...
* Learn from others - but don’t be intimidated by them, or pretend to be someone you’re not; because... “We are most effective when we’re being ourselves.”
6. DON’T BE SCARED OF MAKING MISTAKES
* The only real mistake is one from which you learn nothing.
* Motto: “Far better to try something and fail - than try nothing and succeed!”
7. ACCEPT THAT IT WILL NEVER BE EASY
* Realising your dream may be the hardest, most uphill thing you’ll ever do.
A truth...”You can’t coast uphill.”
If you truly believe in what you’re doing (or trying to do), the value of your product or service and that it will ultimately HELP others, the key ingredient in success is never giving up. “Keep on keeping on” with your quest.
It has been said that “success is 99% made up of failures”.
8. TRY AND STAY HUMBLE (no matter how successful you may eventually be)
* Don’t ever think you’ve made it and. arrived - there’s always lots up ahead, more to do, higher mountains to climb.
* Motto: “The greatest way to do our thing has yet to be discovered!”
9. DON’T UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF - OR GOD (INFINITE INTELLIGENCE, THE UNIVERSE, OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU CALL THE GREAT CREATOR). There is incredible power in yourself (in the form of the unique human mind), but far more so in the forces of the Universe. Make them work for you by living your life in harmony with these natural forces. Like positive energy attracts like. Enough “spiritual” thoughts!
Back to the “real world” and you...
* Avoid having a minority complex (Who am I, a ‘nothing’?”) or be filled with feelings of self pity (“nobody likes me”), or think “I can’t do it”, which will steal your dream.
You are special and unique- a ‘child of the Universe, of God.’
* Size isn’t everything (except to us men)!
10. HAVE FUN (for goodness sake!).
* Nothing is ever as bad as it seems - don’t get too solemn, or serious or too downcast when things go wrong (as they surely will from time to time). Oh no, not another “stuff up”!
* Take a leaf from Thomas Edison’s book: “I never did a day’s work in my entire life: it was all FUN!”
Laugh at life’s funny moments... and there are plenty of them.
The secret of happiness is not doing what one likes, but in liking what one does. - J.M. Barrie
11. DEVELOP ‘THE WILL TO LIVE’
* because there will be plenty of times when you’ll face the death of your dream.
* When failures, disappointments, criticisms come, you need the will and faith for better days to keep going.
Remember: We learn far more from our failures than our successes, because failures show us what doesn’t work. So failure is just one step closer to ultimate success. Often the difference between failure and success is trying just one more time, picking yourself up off the canvas after being knocked down time and again.
12. DEVELOP ‘THE WILL TO HELP AND SERVE OTHERS’.
* Success on its own (ie. for its own sake) will pollute and corrupt you - it’s a dead end street unless you have meaning in your life. The years of struggle breed fortitude and character. The gold may be an inch away from the seam, where your fellow miners have given up.
* You need to succeed for a reason, a purpose, a cause that’s bigger than you!
and IF (“a very big if) you’ve fulfilled all the above “requirements”, “lucky thirteen”...
13. ALWAYS BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR OPPORTUNITIES. They are all around you. There are no permanent problems- only solutions, possibilities and opportunities. The Chinese word for ‘crisis’ means ‘danger’ + ‘opportunity’.
14. If you truly believe in what you are doing, DEVELOP THE ‘WILL TO SUCCEED’ with absolute commitment.
* it is not enough to just survive - aim at being the best you can possibly be!
* keep your dream big, bold and even “outrageous” - don’t water it down or settle for mediocrity... even if others think you are crazy!
Trust in your judgement, your intuition and your creative mind to overcome any obstacles (and you’re sure to come across them).
“Be bold and mighty unseen forces come to your aid.”
“What is impossible with man is possible with God.... so put your trust in the Creator and aim for the heavens, even the stars.
15. NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!
* Be patient. Don’t be in too much of a hurry to achieve your goals and dreams.
* be persistent and never quit. “Keep on keeping on.” As the saying goes, ‘Winners never quit and quitters never win.’
Have faith: firstly in your self, your abilities and then in a Higher Power, the Creator who wants good for you to fulfill yourself through your gifts and abilities to help others and in your own special way to make a better world.
NB: Always remember, when you’ve exhausted all your possibilities, remember you haven’t - there’s always another way, a better way... and even more importantly, always another day!
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it’s the main event.
GO FOR THAT DREAM. It is within you and within your reach.
* Craig Lock is an author of numerous books and the creator of the ORIGINAL online creative writing course. He has been writing full-time for the past "lucky" seven years. Craig has had five books published on various subjects with another 12 manuscripts being published and marketed on the internet.
This article: (C) 2000 Craig Lock - Used with permission